Nutrition plays many important roles in our bodies. We must give our bodies the proper fuel it requires to run smoothly. With proper diet and exercise we are reducing our risks for chronic diseases such as Heart Disease, many Cancers, Type 2 Diabetes, arthritis, and COPD……….The trick to staying healthy is all about finding a balance of food and physical activity that works for you.
To find the plan right for you, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Tips to eating better
- Eat more nutrient rich foods, this includes less processed, more fresh fruits and vegetables, lean proteins and nuts.
- Plan out grocery trips, make lists and stick to them.
- Read nutrition labels and ingredients. Can you pronounce all of the ingredients? Do you know what they are? How many servings come in a package?
- Try incorporating new fruits and vegetables into your recipes.
- Modify traditional recipes using Ingredient Substitutions
- Buy frozen fruits and vegetables to keep in the freezer.
- Keep fresh produce or nuts handy to snack on instead of less nutritious choices.
- Make water your first beverage choice.
- Prepare meals at home often, reduce eating out.
Reading Nutrition Facts Labels