Health and Nutrition
The food we eat and how much we move both have a great impact on our overall health. A healthy diet helps fuel and maintain a healthy body and protect against various illnesses, disorders, and chronic disease, such as heart disease, stroke, dementia, type 2 diabetes, bone loss, cancer, and anemia. A nutritious diet can also help reduce high blood pressure, lower cholesterol, manage arthritis, and manage diabetes. Physical activity strengthens bones and muscles, improves cardiovascular health, protects against many health conditions, increases energy, controls weight, and improves mental health and mood.
Healthy Living Tips:
- Get active! Adults need at least 150 minutes of moderate physical activity or 75 minutes of vigorous activity a week.
- Eat a variety of foods from all the food groups.
- Make physical activity fun and get the whole family involved.
- Limit sedentary behavior
- Make half of your plate fruits and vegetables
- Make water your beverage of choice
- Monitor your salt intake
- Eat less processed foods
- Read nutrition labels